Sunday, July 3, 2011

Stash Report Week #26 (Another large one)...

June 25 - July 1, 2011

Another big report (for me) this week.  A good amount of fabric in, but it was all for current projects.  There were lots of sales going on so I took advantage and bought the backings for 4 quilts.  I'll be glad to have them on hand when the quilt tops are done.

For a change of pace, let me start with what I've used.  I finished the quilt top, Connections, which used 6.25 yards of fabric.  I've also been working on quilting a charity quilt, Goulash, but haven't finished that yet.  And I'm almost done with block 12 of Baltimore Halloween, but still need another night or two before I count it.

Connections, finished quilt top
That about sums up the happenings in my quilt room.  Except for all the fabric I've been ironing - which is a nice segway into my purchases this week.  As soon as fabric comes into the house, it gets washed and pressed before being put away.  (Except for pre-cuts of course.)  Earlier in the week I went to Whistle Stop Quilt Shop with a friend.  I was hoping to find more of a fabric I bought there a couple of months ago.  I knew it was a long shot and it turns out they no longer have it.  But I did find a few fabrics that will work in place of it.  These will all be used in the Winter Wonderland quilt.  I bought a total of 3.5 yards.

Fabrics for Winter Wonderland quilt
I also picked up a couple of new patterns while there.  I expect I won't be making either of these this year, but would like to see the pattern A Touch of Spring made up in a king-size version in shades of cream and brown.  As for Civil War Star, I already have a bunch of Civil War FQ's in my stash that I can use for it.

New patterns from Whistle Stop
As a precursor to our annual Stash Dash this year, all of the local quilt stops were running specials on June 30th - the first day you could purchase your passports.  Quilts Like Crazy had 35% off any end of bolt and I bought the backings for 4 quilts.

Quilt backs from Quilts Like Crazy
From top to bottom they are: 1.25 yards of Spring Fever 22120-12 (for binding), 4 yards of Spring Fever 22120-17, 3.5 yards of Spring Fever 22120-11, 4.75 yards of CX1087 Onyx Marble by Michael Miller Fabrics and 15 yards of Strawberry Fields Strawberry Polka Dots 20166-21.

Whew!  After all of that, I'd like to say I'm not buying any more fabric for a while.  But to be perfectly honest, I'm expecting a bolt of Bella Solid Ivory and a couple of pre-cuts to come in the mail next week.  But other than that, I'm done for a while.

So...
Purchased-this-week: 32 yards
Used-this-week: 6.25 yards
Purchased-to-date: 214 yards
Used-to-date: 91 yards
Net used: -123 yards

As I already mentioned, when fabric enters the house, it immediately gets washed and pressed.  I've been ironing some rather large cuts of fabric lately and though I'd share pictures of how I manage it.  This week, I needed to press the 15 yards of Strawberry Fields.  That's 45 feet in length. I've got my cutting table and ironing board arranged so I can drape some of it over it.

45 ft of fabric to be ironed
This would be so much more difficult to iron if I didn't have the wide ironing board.  I just let it pool at my feet as I iron it until I've reached the end.  Then I fold it in half lengthwise and put it back on a bolt.

Preparing to iron fabric
I also love my Rowenta iron for this.  Although it's a heavy iron, it steams great and gets all those pesky wrinkles out!

It's been incredibly hot and humid here lately.  I pray all of you out there in other parts of the country are staying cool and having a wonderful 4th of July weekend.  Be sure to thank someone who served this holiday!

Until later...

Worship the Lord with gladness. Come before him, singing with joy. 
Psalm 100:2 (NLT)

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, I love that Touch of Spring pattern! Do you have your fabrics picked out for it yet? I cannot wait to see your progress on this one. Is it paper piecing? I really want to try making something like it, but the thought of paper piecing really turns me off of it. Let me know how it works out!!
    Cheers,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

I hope you're having a blessed day! Thanks for stopping by.