Monday, May 17, 2010

Stuffed feathers...

According to Wikipedia, trapunto quilting is a quilting technique that is quite decorative in that it utilizes at least two layers, which is padded from the underside. This produces a raised surface on the quilt.

Over the years, I've tried trapunto quilting a couple of times.  Most recently, I attempted to use it on Thistle Down, a gift for my sister.


As you can see above, I wasn't very successful.  The stars have 2 layers of batting under them, but it's barely noticeable.

It's a lot of extra work because you're essentially quilting some areas twice and you also have to cut away excess batting from the back.  It's fairly labor intensive but beautiful when it shows.

I've planned out the quilting design for this D9-Patch quilt and I want to use trapunto extensively...


but only if I can get it to really show.  To that purpose I did some more research and found that several people recommended using wool batting for the extra layer.  So I bought some of the Tuscany Collection wool batting by Hobbs.  Right out of the package, you can see the extra loft to it and I was hopeful this would make the difference.

Over the last couple of days, I put together a small sample and tried the same feather motif I plan to use on D9-Patch.  What a difference in the end result!


Can't you just see how the quilting pops up on this?  I'm calling this little table mat 'Stuffed Feathers'.  It finishes at 15" square.


I'm now feeling confident enough of the results to go ahead and use it on D9-Patch.  I took a lot of pictures when I made this so perhaps I'll share the steps with you in a future post.

Until later...

Let the Spirit change your way of thinking.
Ephesians 4:23 (CEV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you're having a blessed day! Thanks for stopping by.