Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Needling...

No, not the sewing kind.  This time I mean the kind you stick into your body.  Some of you know that I've been seeing an acupuncturist for about 6 months now.  It's really helped my fibromyalgia (and a few other issues).  I was very skeptical before I went, but with some prodding from Mr. Quilting Bug I gave it a try.  And now I'm a convert.

I'm very fortunate this year that I can get a treatment once a week.  As a matter of fact, I had one this afternoon.  I don't really understand why it works, I just know that it does.  I went in there with a bad headache and came out feeling so much better.

I've been meaning to get pictures - both to share and for myself.  Because all the needles are in my neck and back, I had no idea what they even looked like.

(I hope you're not squeamish about needles...)


He usually puts in a couple dozen needles - concentrating on my neck where I have the most pain.  You can even see how the area looks swollen in the picture.  That's just the muscles knotted up.


These are needles in my back.  He also put some in my legs in spots that are supposed to help with headaches and all over body pain.

Some people have asked if they hurt.  To answer, yes, they usually do (a bit) when they go in.  Sometimes it doesn't hurt when it first enters but he keeps pressing them until they hit the nerve.  But after a few seconds they quiet down.  They stay in for about an hour.  I have occasionally fallen asleep and jerked awake.  That can be painful when your muscles twitch and the needles move.  But for the most part, you don't feel them.

Until later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you're having a blessed day! Thanks for stopping by.