Friday, February 17, 2012

Setting sail...

After a long time in dry dock, I've finally managed to finish another couple of blocks for the Ladies of the Sea (LOTS) quilt I'm working on.  The pattern is by the very talented Sue Garman.  I'm making this quilt for Mr. Quilting Bug and it's all hand appliqued.  So far, I've been working on it (off and on) for about 3 years.  I'm guessing it'll take another 2 or 3 years to complete the top.

These latest blocks are #11 and 12.  The first one is called the Oseberg and was a fun one to stitch.

The Oseberg
I debated about using Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Circles on the ship, but instead just did my regular back-basting applique.  I still think they turned out pretty round.


The Lilies of the Valley were also a pretty quick stitch...

Lilies of the Valley on the Oseberg
The second block I finished is called the Constitution.  Because of all the sails and rigging, this one was a much bigger labor of love.

The Constitution
I didn't realize until I'd finished all the applique that the eagle's beak was supposed to be done with embroidery.  I had gone ahead and appliqued it.  It's a tiny piece, but really wasn't that hard to do.

I thought it was ironic that I started this block just after finishing my last Baltimore Halloween block that had all the acorns.  I was so tired of appliqueing acorns, but these were really much simpler.

Acorns and leaves on the Constitution
These ships will go back into dry dock for a while now.  Next up for hand work is to start on the Snowmen A to ZZZZ quilt that my mom and I are each making.  Then I need to finish the borders for Baltimore Halloween so I can get the top done and quilted.  I really do love doing both hand applique and hand embroidery.  If only there were enough hours in the day to get all the projects I want to make done!

I thought this was a sweet picture of Jack.  Her eyes are so wide in it.  I was waving my hand over her head and I think she was hoping for a treat.

Jack
Until later...

Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. 
Colossians 3:23 (NLT)

2 comments:

  1. Your ships are beautiful. You do very nice applique! Jack was really big eyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful work! The lilies of the valley are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you're having a blessed day! Thanks for stopping by.