Friday, December 9, 2011

More Winter Wonderings...

I'm not spending a lot of time quilting lately, but I did carve out a few hours today to iron some freshly washed fabric (more on that in tomorrow's Stash Report) and to make a few more Winter Wonderland blocks.  This first block finishes at 6" and has 37 pieces.  The HST's are only an inch in size.

6" Block A - Double X
That was the 5th and last block using this fabric combination.  Here are all of them together...

Fabric Combination #4
I'm actually using a total of 6 fabric groupings to make the 34 blocks for this quilt.  (FYI - I know the pattern calls for far fewer blocks, but I've changed it up a bit.)  I need to make 5 blocks out of the 5th fabric combination.  I started with a 9" version of the Double X block.

9" Block #5 - Double X
I am so careful to make sure all my stripes go in the same direction and in this grouping, there are actually 2 prints that I have to watch out for.  Although they're both plaids, they're still directional.

I also made a 9" version of the Cut the Corners block.

9" Block #12 - Cut the Corners
I was able to cut out and sew all of the HST's together on the next block before I ran out of both time and steam.  I'm enjoying working on all of these blocks; however, working with so many homespun fabrics makes me hesitant to use them in another quilt.  They're beautiful, but they're also challenging to sew with because they really love to stretch.  I'm being careful and going slower than usual in an attempt to make them behave.  I know it's going to be worth it in the end though; I love how this quilt is turning out!

Here's a sweet picture of Moses in her favorite napping spot.  In case you can't tell, it's between the pillows on our bed.  With the throw pillow in front, it makes a nice protective hiding spot for her.  Sometimes, she even crawls under the covers there for some additional privacy!

Moses, napping in bed
Until later...

You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you! 
Isaiah 26:3 (NLT) 

1 comment:

  1. Homespun does stretch. Are you sewing two squares together and cutting them into HST or are you actually cutting triangles? The first method is better on stretchy fabrics rather than sewing bias edges together! You will get this finished, so do not over do. Take a cue from Moses and rest!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you're having a blessed day! Thanks for stopping by.