Monday, July 2, 2012

My sewing buddy...

Recently, I had some family come to visit.  My niece is on summer vacation and she came to play for a week with her favorite Aunt (coincidentally her only one).  While I worked on my Leap Year quilt, she was busy working on her very first quilt, a recent birthday gift from her Uncle.

My temporary sewing buddy
The kit is a beginner quilt kit from Connecting Threads and has the softest flannels in it.  I did all the rotary cutting (because she's still a little too young to do it on her own), but she helped organize and label all the fabric.  She also sewed every piece in the first couple of rows together by herself.  (We practiced on some scrap fabrics to get the hang of the quarter inch seam first.)  She did all of the pressing by herself too.

My niece ironing her quilt
We only had time to do the first couple of rows.  She still has 4 more to put together and a border.  Now that she's back home, she has Grandma to help her out with the rest of it.  Perhaps if she enjoys quilting as much as her Grandma and I do, we might have to see about getting her her own sewing machine in the future.  She certainly did a much better job with her quarter inch seam than I did when I started quilting!

Her quilt in progress
We were so busy during her visit here with exercising and shopping and sewing and swimming and so many other things that I think she was just exhausted.  Gabriel has also been on a new exercise regimen and has been extremely tired too.

Aren't they just adorable together?
Until later...

Joyful is the person who finds wisdom, the one who gains understanding. 
Proverbs 3:13 (NLT)

2 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed sewing with a buddy this week. She's adorable and looks like she's comfortable near the ironing board and especially near pets. :) Her quilt looks terrific so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so much fun to teach the next generation! Mu granddaughter and I sew together a lot now what she is 18 and out of school!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you're having a blessed day! Thanks for stopping by.